Monday, October 30, 2006

Career ambition: housewife

Ever since I was in school, I've been drilled on the fact that having a career was goooood, staying at home was baaaad. What a load of bullshit. With all due respect to the women out there who really want to have jobs and career advancement, it's just not for me. I'm stuck here in this so-called career path because we can't survive on one paycheck alone. If we could just even meet the mortgage, car installment and bills, I would be out of here. Who needs food right?
I feel more fulfilled and more useful when I'm at home, taking care of my baby, feeding her food I've cooked fresh instead of reheating frozen icecubes of food made over the weekend, talking with her, playing with her, reading to her. At the end of each day, I would feel tired, but a good kind of tired. The tired where you feel you've actually done something productive, instead of churning out paperwork that nobody really reads or gives a shit about or actually affect the universe in any meaningful or even meaningless way other than causing a tree to have died in vain. The only thing harder than being stuck in this office while someone else gets to see my daughter walk for the first time and share her smiles and laughter is the realisation that it's probably going to be like this for the next 20 years....unless by some miracle, my husband gets a high paying job or the costs of living & education reduces significantly. I don't know if I can last to the end of the year, much less 20 more years of this....I really got to do something about this. I can't go on whingeing and bitching for the next 2 decades that "I want to stay at home."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home