Thursday, February 08, 2007

Runaway moms

Most of my friends and I grew up in the 1980s and I don't know why (something in the water? lack of efficient electric kitchen gadgets/washing machines? no Astro/playhouse disney to distract the kiddies?) but all of us have memories of our mothers at one point or another getting so fed up and stressed out that they ended up stuffing their clothes and tying it up in a kain batik (for more dramatic effect? I'm sure we had enough luggage in the house) and threatening to run away - not just from their husband & the house but also from us, their children. And how we would plead and beg "please don't go, don't leave us, we want to go with you" etc.

My husband brought this up the other day as we were both sitting watching Amani play, about how sad he felt when his mother did this on one occasion, so very sad that she had the heart to actually leave him behind and he turned towards me and asked, would I ever even think of doing that to Amani.

I looked at him but before I could answer, full realisation dawned all over his face:

"You wouldn't run away - you would kick ME out!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home