Wednesday, November 29, 2006

why am i so weak

omigod i am so bloody weak.

but before i go into that, i had such a lovely yummy lunch with my best friend just now...just heavenly...happiness, thy name is all-you-can-eat-sushi. thanks lulu for driving all the way here and not getting lost!

back to my coward ass. Told my boss this morning that i wanted to leave. it wasn't the work, it wasn't the pay - i'm quite happy with the pay, i have simple needs and it was more than enough to cover the house and for savings. i just wanted to spend time watching my daughter grow up. my boss asked me to stay at least until after bonus is paid out, which is a reasonable request even though my entire heart cried out, 'but i want to be with my baby nooooow'. but i managed to squeak out 'i'll think about it' which is the closest i can get to not caving in.

so i stuffed my face during lunch, i was so freaking happy, my intentions to leave were out in the open, i felt free, my belly was full, my head a bit heavy, but it was all gooooood....i settled down to go through my emails.

my boss calls me in. they are prepared to negotiate terms. i was all prepared to karate the offers of more payment. but instead what she offers is my achilles heel...they are offering me more time...aaargh.....my will is getting weak at the tempting thought of this offer to work part time...either only mornings 5 days a week or only coming in 3 times a week...i counter back - how could this really work in practice, what if meetings had to be scheduled in the afternoons or on my off days....boss counter counter argues, then if it's unworkable, you can always then leave, at least try it out....aaaarghhh..how can i argue against such a reasonable sounding proposal....i squeak out again 'i'll think about it' AAAAARRRRGGHHH!! i am such a chicken shit!!! i am snot! i am weak! why oh why am i so weak???

2 Comments:

At 4:06 PM , Blogger Eza said...

that sounds like a reasonable offer.
Plus points:
+ u get to go to spend more time at home, but still get same pay.
+ u still get to spend more time with yr baby. She'll only be with the sitter in the morning, when she'll be more or less asleep anyway. By the time lunch comes and she is more perky and is more awake, u are already there for her.
+ She's almost walking. So after work, (i.e. lunch hour for the rest of us slaves) u can take her from the nursery, put her in her baby car seat, and both of you can enjoy quality girlie time together, i.e. movie, lunches etc, until the time comes for hubby to finish work.After all, u'll still be salaried, and will be able to afford it. Something that u wont be able to do much if u r a full time mom.
+ U have an excuse if the house is a mess and dinner is not on the table. After all, u ARE still working, right?
+ I know we always think our babies as angels, but there WILL be time when we just cant stand their incessant crying and whining. If u're still employed, the office provides an excellent escapade for a few hours of ME time.

Still, there are are also minus points:
- U're rite.. There will be times when they will ask u to work when u're are supposed to be off.
- Hubby will think that since he works an extra tiny 3 hours more than you, he deserves the entire weekend off while you keep sloughing during weekends.
- U might need to get an extra car, or (ewww!) take the public transport,
- U still have to get up in the morning!

Okay. So the pluses outweighs the minuses, but think about it, at least until bonus time. After all, it was their idea and not yours. If it works, yeaaaa.. If it doesn't, then u can always say to them, I TOLD U SO.. and leave.

Anyway.. am so jealous! Wish I had that kind of offer..

 
At 4:41 PM , Blogger Aishah said...

haha-the catch is of course-pay cut! But still, it's quite temppting, she does tend to nap in the mornings..and even half-pay is still money and at least covers the mortgage (the mortgage, the mortgage, it's like selling ur soul to the devil).
my department is shorthanded, hence the offer, it's not like i'm brilliant or anything. i just don't argue much. aka DOORMAT. sigh. will discuss it tonight with the husband.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home