Friday, January 12, 2007

Rough start to 2007

Just recovered from pneumonia. I always assumed that living in a hot climate meant that I didn't have to worry about things like pneumonia. Who knew? It started out as a very bad flu which refused to go away then escalated to fever and non-stop coughing and throwing up. If it was my daughter I would have gone straight to the hospital probably at the first sniffle, since I'm paranoid like that. But since it was just me, I just let it get worse until I was so weak that I had to go to the hospital to get a drip because nothing would stay down. They did an x-ray and told me the bad news and I was hospitalised for about a week. Usually, this would be almost heavenly - a whole week without having to go to work, with people bringing me meals, a nice bed, tv, sleep...but instead it was torturous because my daughter couldn't see me at all, because I was contagious. My poor baby had to be totally weaned cold turkey and I missed her so much that all I could do was think about her every second of the day. My mother in law came to stay to help my husband with the baby then I got all paranoid that they were trying to marginalise me from my baby then I realised how very low self esteem I have and I also realised that spending too much time in an empty hospital room with bad tv was dangerous for my sanity - I started learning how to play sudoku for God's sake and I told myself I wouldn't get sucked into any game that made numbers supposedly fun! The doctor finally let me go home but I'm still on a lot of medication and I still get short of breath sometimes...quite scary actually.

So...a rough start to 2007.

God, I miss breastfeeding..the convenience of it all especially the night time feed...my baby would whimper, I'd just whip it out and go back to sleep and she'd nuzzle and fall back to sleep herself. Now, it's the groggy "it's your turn, no it's your turn" debate before the loser has to get up, sleepily make the bottle of formula, shake it, peer it up against the night light to make sure it's dissolved properly before giving it to the kid. Then having to make sure she doesn't choke or stick the bottle in her ear etc...yes..I miss breastfeeding...I admit I used it as a crutch - get a booboo? sleepy? whining/crying/whimpering/getting into a temper? -here have a boob...and all was well and solved...sigh...it was nice while it lasted.

3 Comments:

At 5:07 PM , Blogger Eza said...

OMG!! Am so sorry to hear that u were in the hosp. why didnt u call? Could have brought u chocs..

And kesian Amani had to quit cold turkey.. With Danish, I just pre-measure two bottles of boiled water and premeasure his formula into those little cups. He has developed a schedule, so I normally know what time he would wake up for his nightly feeds. So the first bottle I would put half hotwater, half warm. By the time he wakes up at 2 a.m., the water would be just rite. the second botlle I fill it up with hot water so that it is still warm in time for his 6 a.m. feed. So when he wakes up, I just shake the cup thingy into the water that has been prepared before hand. Over and done with in 10 secs.

 
At 5:09 PM , Blogger Eza said...

forgot to mention that the bottles i keep in the bottle warmer..

 
At 12:06 PM , Blogger Aishah said...

I was contagious so wouldn't want to have spread my germs to anyone, especially people with kids. I was so paranoid that I didn't even want Nazri to visit for fear that the germs/virus would jump on to him, stick on him throughout the car ride home, then jump on Amani pulak at home.

Thanks for the tip on the night feeding - have to go out and get the cup thing..I remember looking at it so smugly when I passed by everytime I was in the baby shop. In my lalaland, I would breastfeed Amani until she was 2 and supposedly wouldn't be waking up in the middle of the night after that...I do so like to lie to myself.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home