Friday, September 24, 2010

Side effect of P.Ramlee

During the recent Raya season, apart from a lot of cerita2 hantu (why ah?) on TV, there were also many P.Ramlee movies on, including the Bujang Lapok series. I watched them with Amani to show her another side of life that was not Disney-inspired. Her first question as we watched the black and white movies was where was the colour? But after that, she got into the stories and the jokes, laughing especially during Seniman Bujang Lapuk scenes "Tapi lubang hidungmu tetap menjadi pojaan hatiku"...I didn't realise though how much she had really absorbed. Granted, we were watching comedies but the language can be a bit strong at times, "Bodoh!" "Bahlol" which is somehow more satisfyingly descriptive and insulting than the standard F-word.

So it shouldn't have been a surprise when on Raya ke-4 after we checked in at a hotel in Melaka, my little 4 year old Disney princess happily greeted the bell boy in a cheerful and innocent voice, "Hello Setan!"

I have never felt so horrified and embarassed and hillarious all at the same time. There was also a lot of explaining about what setan / devil actually was and about how they looked like and where they stayed, which I was totally unprepared for during what was supposed to be an easygoing overnight holiday. Yippee motherhood! It just keeps getting better and better.

5 Comments:

At 8:49 AM , Blogger Eza said...

hahaha.. i dont have p ramlee side effects, but i do have to face Ultraman side effects.. and that includes bad Malay translations.. the best would be my 4 year old shouting "TAK GUNA" all over and over again, just because Ultraman says it.. sigh..

 
At 10:00 AM , Blogger Jordan said...

I love those Bujang Lapok movies. Especially the one where the three of them are trying to win the heart of the daughter of the silat guru. I love when they go to schoolk. "Huruf mambang tanah." haha

My eldest hasn't caught on to the joys of P. Ramlee, but he's always repeating things he hears on Ultraman, Power Rangers & Ben 10.

 
At 12:58 PM , Blogger Aishah said...

In a way it's comforting that Ultraman has survived to this date, with just as many fans as before. Won't somebody please bring back Thundercats & Voltron?

"Hai mambang kuning, mambang merah..."& "Cobaaaaan" still crack me up despite watching it a million times.

Now I'm also getting my kid to listen to the Beatles...I think it's some sort of midlife crisis on my part...hehehehe....hmmmm, come to think of it, I was around her age when my dad started playing the Beatles on his LP record player for me to listen to...yikes, I'm turning into my dad! Not so funny anymore...

 
At 9:36 AM , Blogger Eza said...

remember in the 80's when our dad played those 60's songs and we thought how ancient they sounded? i'll bet that's what our kids think when we start playing those 90's rock kapak .. and i'll bet my kids cringe and wish they can disappear or do their this-is-not-my-mother-i-have-no-idea-who-this-makcik-is act whenever i start belting out Madonna's Like a Virgin and Papa Don't Preach..

Sigh.. we are so bloody old..
..

 
At 3:32 PM , Blogger Aishah said...

"rock kapak"...ahahahahahhaha, you know there's only one solution to this - KARAOKE!!!! When u free?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home